Thursday, July 3, 2008

Something to get used to...

Sorry it's been a while since I've updated. I hear it from Melissa all the time when I fall behind. Things are going well... a lot to get used to. The heat has reached the unbearable 113 degrees. A bit much at times but I've never been so thankful for air conditioning. I'm beginning to learn many of the secrets to desert living.

1)Always carry a sweater with you no matter where you go. It will be air conditioned and feel like a freezer!
2)When parking your car for a long period of time, leave the windows open just a crack otherwise your car windows have the potential of cracking due to the extreme heat.
3)Always carry the following with you: water, sunglasses, lotion, and lip gloss
4) Only play outdoor activities after the sun goes down and the temp has cooled to atleast 90 degrees.

That's all in the area of helpful hints for right now. I'm sure more are to come.

I had the opportunity to go to my final class (Power Communication) last weekend. It was a great class and a lot of fun going with Breann and some of my other co-workers. It was Fri-Sun from 8am-12pm just about every night. Needless to say we were worn out! One of my homework assignments included going to Chuck E Cheese with 18 other adults! We had a blast playing tokens, collecting tickets, eating pizza, and ofcourse getting a pic with Chuck E Cheese himself! It was a blast! But all that to finally finish out the weekend at Graduation being one of the only Master Graduates. That means I have completed over 100 hours of Rapport Leadership Training. This also gives me the certificate needed to go "ON-TEAM" with the Teen department and assist the trainers. I will be going on my first ON TEAM experience next weekend July 11-13 to a camp about 45 min outside of Vegas!

There are a lot of changes going on within my role in the company. I recently took on the job of the ON TEAM coordinator in conjunction with my current roles of Coordinator of Educational Programs and Assistant to the V.P. Bridgit (the VP) continues to tell me all of these roles are temporary untill we can hire on more staff. This past week has been filled with exciting things as Rapport Empowered Education is breaking off into it's own company from Rapport leadership International. The vision that is ahead continues to leave me speechless. Within the next 2 years there will be over 100 people working in my department (one that is currently run by 5 people). But it has been awesome as I've had the opportunity to write the new company mission statement, have a hand in picking logos, designing business cards, and creating the new company website. I will let you know when it's up and running! :) Also exciting in that area was that I was asked to accompany the Trainers to our newest training facility located in the Dominican Republic in October.

On a more personal level, the essence of "home" is about to make a major change as I will be officially moving to my new apartment on July 15th! I'm extremely excited about the move and ready to have a place of my own... with MY stuff in it! It will truly be an adventurous change as none of my furniture is arriving from Michigan untill Aug when Mom and Dad get out here. I'm headed to Target this weekend to find the most comfy air mattress you've ever seen! Again, when I get the new address I'll be sure to forward it out to everyone!

Things have begun to move forward here, but it's difficult at the same time to know that things are moving forward back at home as well! Since I've been away... Kevin graduated from High School, 6 close friends have gotten married, my sisters tummy continues to grow, LifeChangers has come and gone, friends have taken on new careers, and the fam is spending their last 4th of July up at our favorite get away! It's strange to think no one from home truly knows where I'm at, what I'm doing, or what my new world looks like! I'm ready to see you guys! I'm ready for visitors! I'm ready to get into my new place and feel like I have a place that is home for me. I'm stuck in this crazy middle step where I've been away from Michigan long enough to say I don't live there any more, but I'm still living in this crazy house that feels more like a hotel everyday!

Please continue to pray for me as I truely settle into a new place in the next week and half.
Happy 4th of July... LOVE YOU!

1 comment:

MellyMel said...

Hey Vanessa!!!! I am glad you are adjusting well to your new surroundings. I know it can be hard to be missing out on so many things but I think it eventually gets easier...not that you don't want to be there, but it doesn't hurt as much. miss you chicka!

Melissa Ourth