Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Day 3: Is Love either ALL or NOTHING?!

I grew up hearing the statement "it's either all or nothing" and I know that I understood it; I'm just not sure that I understood where to use it! This phrase - all or nothing - has continued to come to my mind throughout the day today. When it comes to loving people, is it either "all or nothing" or is there a place to sit in the middle?

I read this when I woke up this morning: "Remember this: Whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows generously will also reap generously."(2 Corinthians 9:6) I have this theory that we are a "closed fist nation" and what I mean by that is we have SO many resources, SO many abilities, SO many opportunities,and so SO much stuff - and yet we are SO afraid to let go of any of it. It doesn't matter if it's our left-overs in the refrigerator or the love in our heart - so help me, if anyone should dare touch what we have as excess! Although it's there, giving it away may mean we won't have it when we want it. We live with this survival mentality that if we give a little here and perhaps a little over there, that will suffice. And all though it will indeed - suffice, I want my life to be more than simply sufficient! I want my life to be full to the brim, functioning at max capacity, if not even OVERFLOWING!

The more seeds we sow - the bigger the harvest! The more love we give - the greater the impact! And yet, a completely different question (perhaps even more imperative question) seems to come to mind. Am I sowing my seeds and giving my "all" to the place where I desire to see the harvest? Do we give more of our love to our careers than we do to our families? Do we give more of our love to our activity than we do to our relationships?

What do I love - and where do I want to see my harvest?



Thanks for coming along on the journey!

No comments: