Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Ouch! Lessons are hard to learn!

Have you ever had those days that you can honestly look back and say, “I was not my best today”? If you haven’t, please don’t share!  It was one of those days I felt like a true girl and played on every single emotion possible. And as my Mother hung up the phone with me, I found myself crying and questioning everything! I’m not psychotic, just a girl!

And yet I look back at my day and realized how many times I let my day be filled with circumstance to get through instead of opportunities to live in. I found myself reading Luke 6:27-36 and conviction set in…this is a good thing…it means I’m about to learn something new.

The first part starts out with Jesus saying, “But I tell you who hear me…” and all I could picture was my Mother sitting me down after I had just argued with my sister. I was ready to defend always starting in with “But Mom…” and her response was always the same. “I’m not talking to your sister. I’m talking to YOU.” I didn’t have to read any further (yet I did, and I’m glad) to know that it didn’t matter how many people I could have blamed for the way I was feeling today, God was sitting me down saying, “Vanessa, I’m not talking to everyone else; I’m talking to you”. It was then that I chose to stop fighting, be quiet, and pay attention.

The verses go on and Jesus speaks, “Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you…” The list goes on and on yet I realized what God was telling me.

Live the unexpected life! Everyone expects you to be upset – smile. Everyone expects you to gossip – walk away. Everyone expects you to go to battle against those who have battled you – love em! How will anyone ever see what’s different if you always respond the same?

I didn’t say it was an easy lesson, or that I’m going to get it right everyday moving forward. Yet, I get it! It was one of those days today…and yet tomorrow will be so much different!

Growing,
Vanessa

No comments: